Grose View Public School

A future focused learning environment

Telephone02 4572 1386

Emailgroseview-p.school@det.nsw.edu.au

About our school

Grose View Public School is a future focused learning environment that promotes the development of the whole child recognising that every student must be understood in the context of their family, community and sense of self.

We understand that the well-being of students, parents and staff is an essential component of productive learning and positive relationships. Through this we foster a culture of collaborative learning and support for all members of our school community.

At Grose View Public School our students develop strong identities as learners they understand the purpose of their learning journey and actively contribute to its direction. We strive to ensure that all our students fulfil their creative potential, demonstrate critical and considered thinking, work collaboratively and constructively with others and contribute positively as global citizens.

Grose View Public School is situated in a beautiful rural environment and enjoys the support of a community who values the school.

School history

In June 1871 an application was made to the Council of Education to establish a school at Kurrajong South (Grose Vale). It was expected that the enrolment would be 33 children.

The first teacher, Miss May Knightley was appointed. Aid was granted and on 1st August 1871, Grose Vale School functioned as a national school under the name of Kurrajong South opposite the old post office.

Kurrajong South became a public school on 13th September 1875. In 1880 a new classroom was erected. The attendance was over 40 students but white ants caused damage to both the schoolroom and the residence.

A petition for a new school was made in June 1897 and as a result the present site of Grose Vale School was bought. A contract was let for the building of a new school in 1899.

In April 1912 a request for a weather shed was rejected.

The school was renamed Grose Vale in April 1929. In the bushfire of 10th december 1944, the school and residence were destroyed.

On 3rd October 1945 the present school was opened and the P&C was revived.

It remained on the site until the establishment of Grose View Public School in 1976.

Memories of Grose View School by Del Swain

In 1976 there were two primary schools in the area Grose Wold School was on the Grose Wold Road almost opposite Avoca Road and the only teacher was Mick Arthur. Grose Vale School was in the road off Grose Vale Road immediately opposite the Community Centre. The Headmaster was Max Whittam.

These two schools combined and classes began at Grose View School on its present site in September 1976 with Mr. Whittam as headmaster teaching a composite class of years 4, 5 and 6. Helen Lenehan was the school secretary.

Max and his wife Wilma and their young son Darren lived in a brick house on Cabbage Tree Road.

Our two younger boys started at the school at its beginning and the youngest left for Colo High at the end of 1982.

Canteen was held on Mondays and to use up the crusts from the sandwiches we'd cut them into threes and sell them for 10 cents each with butter and vegemite or peanut butter.

The infants' teacher Mr. Capper designed the school motto. Other teachers were Peter Coutts, Miss Smith and Mrs. Craigie. The district inspector was Jack Elliott.

The boys' uniform was a fawn shirt and brown shorts with bottle green jumpers. They didn't wear hats to play in those days.

The Clewett family had been in the Grose Vale district for many years. Wal and his wife Meg were staunch members of the P&C. She would teach the girls sewing and all the pupils called her auntie Meg.

Laurie Duffy was the first President of the new school's P&C, Del Swain was secretary and Ian Hemphill "Herbie" was treasurer.

The children raised money by getting sponsors and once a year would walk the block from the school down to Grose River Road up to Grose Vale Road and then back down Grose Wold Road. This was 9kms. It was a fun day. There was much less traffic then.

Each spring there was a school fete with lucky dip stalls, cakes etc. and the annual school sports day was held on the ground below the buildings.

It took a while to convince the bus company to go up to Bowen Mountain. Every now and then we'd have to contact council to mow the verges of Grose Wold Road. Lots of children walked to school then.